Connect IoT devices to the Open Platform
This document walks through :
- Provisioning a device to Open Platform
- Visualizing data from devices
- A PC with web browser
- Optional : A device to connect to Open Platform solution
- If you do not have any of following devices, you may use Raspberry Pi Web Simulator
- Raspberry Pi
- Seeed WIO Terminal
- A PC with Linux
Provisioning a device to Open Platform
In order to consume (e.g. visualize) data from a device, the device must be provisioned. Provisioning device means :
- Creating device identity in IoT Hub
- Prepare a device
- Authenticating the device
- Establishing a connection
1 : Creating a device identity in IoT Hub
A device must be known to the solution. Creating a device identity means registering a device entity in IoT Hub. In this instruction, we will use Raspberry Pi Azure IoT Online Simulator.
- Browse to Open Platform Web Dashboard with your browser
- Click Device Management in the Navigation Menu
- Click Device Management tab
- Click Add a device
- Give a name for the new device e.g. PiSimulator1
- Click +Create
Once a new device is successfuly created, it should be added to the dropdown device list
2. Preparing a device
Each device firmware/device app has their own way of programming authentication information. For this demo, we will use Raspberry Pi Azure IoT Online Simulator.
Browse to Raspberry Pi Azure IoT Online Simulator with your browser
Click Raspberry Pi Simulator in the Navigation Menu
- Select the new device you created above, if not selected
Click Advanced (for Device Developers)
You should see fields are filled.
Click green button next to Primary Connection String
This will copy the connection string in clipboard.
3. Connecting a device
Switch to Raspberry Pi Azure IoT Online Simulator
[Your IoT hub device connection string]with the connection string
Ensure the connection string is inside single quotes
const connectionString =
const connectionString = HostName=P15-IoTHub-jqs…….;
Runbutton to connect and start sending simulated telemetry to Open Platform.
In the bottom right pane, you should see log saying the simulator is connected and sending telemetry.
Switch to Open Platform portal
Confirm telemetry and events are pushed to the portal.
[!NOTE] Make sure you click Stop in Raspberry Pi Simulator or close browser when you are finished.
- Developers : Learn more technical details of the Open Platform Open Platform Developer Guide : Architecture Overview