XML Notepad provides the following menu commands.
The file menu contains the following commands:
- New Start a new XML document.
- Open Open an XML document for editing. Can also open .csv and .htm files converting them to XML.
- Reload Discard any edits you've made and reload the file as it exists on disk.
- Save Save any edits you've made to the file disk.
- Save As Save the current document to a different file name on disk.
- Export Errors Save the contents of the Error List in an XML format.
- Recent Files This menu provides quick access to the last 10 XML documents you've edited.
- Exit Closes XML Notepad.
The edit menu contains the following commands:
- Undo Undo the previous edit operation.
- Redo Reverses the last undo operation.
- Cut Copy the selected node to the clipboard (and its children) and remove that node from the tree. See Clipboard support.
- Copy Copy the selected node to the clipboard (and its children).
- Paste Parse the XML in the clipboard and create new nodes in the tree under the selected node.
- Delete Delete the selected node.
- Insert Insert a new node of the same type (element, attribute, processing instruction, comment, etc) as the currently selected node. This makes it easy to build a list of nodes that have the same type.
- Rename Enter edit mode on the current element or attribute so you can rename it (or type Enter key)
- Duplicate Clone the selected node (and its children) and insert the clone as the next sibling.
- Change To Changes the selected node to the specified node type.
- Goto Definition Open the selected XInclude or open the XML Schema that defines the selected node in a new instance of XML Notepad.
- Expand XIncludes Expand all XInlcude elements with the contents of the XML documents they point to.
- Nudge Moves the selected node:
- Up Before the previous sibling, or before the parent if there are no previous siblings.
- Down After the next sibling, or after the parent if there is no next sibling.
- Left Before the parent if this is the first child, otherwise after the parent.
- Right so it becomes the last child of the previous sibling.
- Find... Brings up the find dialog.
- Replace... Brings up the replace dialog.
- Incremental Search... Allows you to instantly find what you type.
- Expand All Expand all collapsed nodes in the entire tree. See "Expand" item on the context menu if you just want to expand the selected node.
- Collapse all Collapse all expanded nodes in the entire tree (except the root node). See "Collapse" item on the context menu if you just want to collapse the selected node.
- Status Bar Toggle the visibility of the status bar.
- Source Show the current XML document in text form using "Notepad".
- Options... Display the Options Dialog.
- Schemas... Display the Schemas Dialog.
- Statistics... Opens a command prompt with the results of running XmlStats.exe on the current file.
The XmlStats.exe program is in the current working directory so you can play with it further. Type
XmlStats -?for help.
- Next Error Navigate to the next error in the list of errors.
- Compare XML Files... Launches XML Diff which compares the current document you are editing with another document on disk and displays the results.
Contains commands for inserting various node types. You can insert before, after or as a child of the currently selected node. Only those insert operations that result in well formed document will be enabled.
Provides a "New window" command for launching another instance of XML Notepad.
Bring up the help contents and index as well as the About Dialog.