Developing Windows apps on a non-Windows PC
It is possible to develop Windows apps on a non-Windows PC by using a virtual machine. The virtual machine can run either locally or on Azure.
- Go to Windows 11 development environment for a link to download a Windows 11 virtual machine image. These are usually available for 90 days and are provided in different formats (VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox, and Parallels).
- Once you have created your VM, open an elevated PowerShell session: press the start menu button, type
powershell, right click on it and select Run as administrator. You will be prompted for permissions, click "Yes".
- At this point you are ready to set up your development dependencies. Follow the instructions on dependencies.
- Go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/using-visual-studio-vm and follow the instructions to create a Visual Studio 2019 Latest virtual machine on "Windows 10 Enterprise N" in Azure.
- Follow the instructions on dependencies.