Produces the information required to observe series of correlated operations in a distributed system. Once collected they show the path, measurements and faults in an end-to-end transaction.
- Ensure that at least key business transactions are traced.
- Include in each trace necessary information to identify software releases (i.e. service name, version). This is important to correlate deployments and system degradation.
- Ensure dependencies are included in trace (databases, I/O).
- If costs are a concern use sampling, avoiding throwing away errors, unexpected behavior and critical information.
- Don't reinvent the wheel, use existing tools to collect and analyse the data.
- Ensure personal identifiable information policies and restrictions are followed.
- Azure Monitor - Umbrella of services including system metrics, log analytics and more.
- Jaeger Tracing - Open source, end-to-end distributed tracing.
- Grafana - Open source dashboard & visualization tool. Supports Log, Metrics and Distributed tracing data sources.
Last update: May 7, 2021